Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Good trips aren't as much fun to write about

I admit it. It just isn’t as much fun writing about a trip that went right.

We went sailing with John and Wendy over the Memorial Day weekend. There were no mishaps. In fact everything went more or less as planned.

We sailed across the Chesapeake Bay and anchored near the cement ships. That night I saw my first wild dolphins.

The next morning I woke up before everyone. I sat on the deck and drank a beer. I drank a beer because there was no coffee and I could. The dolphins swam by (much closer this time).

The cement ships have been converted into break walls and are now homes to millions of birds. I especially like watching the pelicans. They are huge birds and fly so close to the water that you think they will hit it with their wings.

On the return trip the boys trolled off of the back. I kept an eye on them and they almost caught a few fish. We did not have a net so the fish spat the hook as soon as they came out of the water. This was enough to keep the boys entertained for a few hours though. We sailed back with just the main and head sails. We just didn’t have the energy to put the jib up.

It was a great trip. I received a spectacular sunburn. I can not imagine what it would have been like if I had not used sun block. I was so sore the next few days that I did not even want to move. Sailing is hard work, but I’m already looking forward to the next trip.

Thanks John and Wendy.

No comments:

Post a Comment