Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Take it back!

Prior to our visit at Fort Story we stopped at a little Mom and Pop seafood restaurant for lunch. It was pretty good. It was a shack that had been standing since the Civil War (the English Civil war). The bathrooms had no heat. The servers were large white women with annoying laughs. The place mats were paper and had pictures of several species of fish. One of these pictures was a Wahoo. Dearth asked me why it was called a Wahoo and I said (without pausing or batting an eye) "It's the sound they make when you catch one and bring it on the boat". This discription was followed by a reasonably loud "WAHOO!!". Debra was not amused, Brenda rolled her eyes, Dave smirked and Dearth hit me. I'll count that as a success.

The food was good. With five at the table there was a pretty good sample of food. Crab cakes, fried trout, blackened tuna sandwich, various veggies and one hamburger (teenagers).

During the meal I set the camera on the table. Yep you guessed it. I left it there. It only took us about 10 minutes to figure this out.

When we returned I went in and one of the kitchen staff was up front and he found the camera for me. We saw this worker during our meal. He was a little person. For some reason this made Dearth nervous so I wanted to tell Dearth that he was the one I spoke to.

Have you ever said something that started going in a direction you did not intend? It was like a terrible train wreck. "Hey Dearth. I went in there and that little person helped me out. He's a nice guy." Here's where it happened. I tried to stop it, but when I realized what I was about to say it was too late. "I had a short conversation with him."

Groans, laughter and smacks to my head followed.

That's not what I meant!

No comments:

Post a Comment