Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What a month

The last 3 or 4 weeks have been crazy. I was offered an IT job in Afghanistan. It required hours (no joke) of paper work. I also had to get a physical and a dental exam.

During the dental exam I told the dentist that I had a loose filling. When he looked he said that the tooth was actually cracked and that I needed a crown. Sigh…

The medical exam was almost like a game. Bursitis? Check. Arthritis? Check. Tendonitis? You bet. The list goes on. That was kind of depressing.

There was also some good news/bad news. Heredity finally caught up with me and I now have type two diabetes. It was not a huge surprise, Mom and Dad both have/had diabetes, it was just inconvenient timing. Now I have to get that under control before I can reapply for that job. You may be wondering about the good news. Finding out about the diabetes prior to having a stroke, heart attack or seizure is the good news.

My doctor is great. She set me up with a diabetes class. That took a lot of the fear away. A nutritionist set me up with a meal plan and told me how to manage my blood sugar. I was also shown the proper way to check my blood sugar and how the medication works on my body. I highly recommend a course like this if anyone finds out that they have diabetes.

Now I would like to mention how much it sucks to have diabetes this time of year.

Last Saturday Deb baked cookies and nut bread ALL DAY LONG. It was insane. We have a six foot table filled with baked goods. If that was not torture enough she also made no-bake cookies and brownies. I wanted to slash my wrists when the smell of brownies filled the air. Kick me in the balls or just shoot me in the back of the head. It would be more humane.

I am human and I ate a few cookies. I also had a glass of milk with them. I did resist the brownies, but I absolutely refused to check my blood sugar that day. I will just pretend it did not happen.

Fortunately, this is not as painful as it could be. I had already changed my eating habits. This began last January and I have lost almost 40 pounds since then. This is the first time in 14 years that I have weighed less than 200 pounds (holy crap that sounds a lot worse now that I have it typed out).

So to sum things up I will say that I love my family. Diabetes sucks, but it is manageable. My body is doing it’s very best to tell me I am old. I am responding to my bodies’ message with fingers placed firmly in my ears and yelling “la la la …” at the top of my lungs.

Merry Christmas everyone and have a Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment